The University of Rhode Island opened the doors to the $54 million, 7,657-seat Thomas M. Ryan Center in June of 2002 and fans have flocked to Kingston for men's and women's basketball games and several big name concerts in the state-of-the-art arena.
The Ryan Center boasts three tiers of seating in the arena to bring all 7,657 seats within 74-feet of the court, creating a frenzied atmosphere. Every seat in the Ryan Center has a chairback, and there are eight luxury suites that overlook both the Meade Stadium football field and the Ryan Center basketball court.
A multi-purpose facility, the Ryan Center seats 9,000 for concerts, lectures and other community events. Popular acts such as Carrie Underwood, Bob Dylan, No Doubt, Counting Crows, John Mayer, and the Dave Matthews Band have highlighted the Ryan Center's concert stage.
The arena can also be subdivided to provide a half-house venue for smaller functions. The event floor seating retracts to provide space suitable for family shows or trade conferences. A portable stage is available for concerts and performance events and the event floor itself can seat up to 500 for a banquet. During each academic calendar year, the Ryan Center hosts 85-100 events annually.
Boss Ice Arena
The Bradford R. Boss Arena, located on the campus of the University of Rhode Island, opened its doors on September 15, 2002. This state of the art ice rink is the very first indoor ice facility in all of Southern Rhode Island. Currently, the Boss Ice Arena operates year-round, opening its doors 7 days a week, 52 weeks out of the year, for over 15 hours a day.
The Bradford R. Boss Arena is home to the nationally ranked University of Rhode Island Men’s and Women’s Club Ice Hockey teams, as well as the University of Rhode Island Intramural Hockey league, daily public sessions, various youth and adult hockey leagues and a Learn to Skate program. It is also home to Southern Rhode Island's four high school varsity hockey programs. During the summer, the Boss Ice Arena hosts a variety of hockey camps and clinics.
The Bradford R. Boss Arena is owned by the University of Rhode Island and managed by Global Spectrum, the fastest growing firm in the public assembly facility management field, with more than 100 facilities throughout the United States and Canada.
Bill Beck Field
Built in memory of former Rhode Island baseball and football coach, Bill Beck Field originally opened in 1966 and has since served as the home of the Rams.
In November of 2007, an anonymous donor pledged $1-million to the Rhody baseball program, initiating facility renovations designed to equip the Rams with one of the finest ballparks in all of New England.
Aside from providing URI with an outstanding competitive advantage, the improved facility also requires significantly less maintenance which, in turn, allows the team to spend more time on the field throughout the year.
Keaney Gymnasium, home of the Rhode Island volleyball team, opened in 1953. Keaney Gym was the former home of the Rhode Island men's and women's basketball teams until 2002, when both teams moved to the Ryan Center.
The 3,385-seat gym (3,885 capacity including standing room) was the home of the men's basketball teams from 1953-2002, during which time the Rams compiled a 320-168 (.656 winning percentage).
Keaney Gymnasium is named in honor of Rhode Island's winningest coach, the legendary Frank Keaney. Keaney coached the Rams from 1920-48 and amassed a record of 401-124 (.764 winning percentage) in 28 seasons at the helm.
Mackal Fieldhouse, which opened in 1991, features a six-lane, 200-meter indoor track, including eight lanes on the straightaways, a weight and fitness center, and four basketball courts.
The facility annually hosts the Atlantic 10 Conference Men's and Women's Indoor Track & Field Championships.
The track and basketball courts were refurbished in December 2002, giving the Rams a state-of-the-art track. Mackal Fieldhouse also houses the administrative offices for the athletic department.
Meade Stadium is home to the Rhode Island football team. The stadium was constructed in 1928 and named Meade Field after local politician John E. "Jack" Meade, a local politician and devoted alumnus who was said to have never missed a home football or basketball game until his death in 1972 at the age of 78.
A football field house was constructed in 1933 and a year later the west concrete stands were built to accommodate 1,500 fans. The facility was renamed Meade Stadium in 1978 when a 50-row concrete, aluminum and steel grandstand was opened, bringing the seating capacity to 8,000.